At this time of year many people are in slow-down mode with a little bit of extra time on their hands to get on top of their admin or trawl Facebook! But with a week to go until Xmas there’s still time to be productive and end the year on a professional high…
For a quick career-fix that will put your in good stead next year, here are 7 simple steps you can take today that will help clean up your career before Santa arrives…
1. LinkedIn: Update your profile, request recommendations for work you’ve done this year, and make sure you’ve accepted any connection requests
2. Email: Go through your inbox and be ruthless – read, delete or action.
3. Career Plan: Review your plan, appraisal or PDP (or whatever else you might call it) and highlight what you haven’t yet achieved – now diarise specific dates and times to take action on those points asap in the new year.
4. Technology: If your computer’s running slowly, you haven’t organised a backup, your phone software is out of date, or anything else techie-related is flagging, get on top of it now so that you’re up to speed for a fast and productive new year.
5. Networking: Email the key contacts in your network and thank them for their help this year (or ideally send a card – snail mail is rare these days and as a result stands out!). Also ask if there’s anything you can to do help them moving forward – this will keep you front of mind and help build stronger relationships in the new year.
6. Overhaul: Organised chaos is still chaos …. so if your desk looks like a dumping ground clean it up. Your work space is a reflection of your personal brand, and a messy desk or office is also a distraction that can significantly hinder productivity. So file, throw and organise so that you start the new year off clean and fresh.
7. Plan: Don’t wait until 1st January to set your goals – start planning now and let your mind mull over what you want to achieve in 2015. As the saying goes, if you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Get clear now on what you want, how you’re going to do it, and when – these 3 steps ahead of time will set you on the right path to achieving your career goals in the new year.
Get the best career, productivity and small business coaching tips straight to your inbox every week, plus our eBook 'How To Create A Career You Love' (worth $37.00) free when you subscribe.
We respect your privacy. You can remove yourself from the mailing list at any time.
or skip signup